Why Mill 1?
- We’ll just say it: Mill 1 is gorgeous. When we created Mill 1, we didn’t mess with perfection: we sandblasted brick, exposed original high-ceiling pine beams and refinished gleaming maple floors. We added a stunning custom bar and modern amenities, creating a serene, beautiful natural backdrop that can be customized to reflect your personality and style. Our space will wow you and your guests.
- Your wedding photos and videos will look fantastic, no matter the weather, no matter the time of day, no matter the season. We’re across the street from a state park and the historic Holyoke Canal Walk, both of which feature incredible natural and industrial backdrops. And our wide variety of indoor, well-lit spaces ensure dry, comfortable guests while offering stunning photos you will cherish for decades.
- Our Event Managers are master stress relievers. They are deeply grounded in managing details, but they lead from the heart, which is exactly what you want for the biggest party you’ve ever planned. We put all our love into helping you plan your special event and coordinating your details with care.
- We take food very seriously. Because personal and tailored food choices make events special and memorable, Mill 1 doesn’t limit you to one in-house caterer. Choose among our variety of five preferred caterers, who consistently provide exceptional service and delicious fare.
- We’re green. We produce electricity onsite using a renewable resource (water) making every event at Mill 1 Zero Net Energy. We’re the greenest site for your celebration!
- Customizable floor plan
- Free, plentiful, well-lit parking
- On-site directional signs guiding your guests to Mill 1
- Handicapped accessible ramp directly into Mill 1
- AC and heat to keep the space comfortable for you and your guests
- Toiletry baskets in restrooms and bridal suite
- Access to indoor and outdoor spaces across the property for unique and breathtaking photo opportunities
- Access for all guests to enjoy the bridge over the canal, which includes tables and chairs during warmer months
- A pet-friendly property so your furry family can be part of your bridal party
Planning & Getting Ready
- Personal Event Manager’s time before your event to help with vendor coordination and logistical planning
- Personal Event Manager’s time during your event to help facilitate setup (does not include design or decorating), crowd flow, event timeline, and any venue related items
- Use of our event management platform, Tripleseat, to communicate with Event Manager, access documents, and keep track of logistics and floor plans
- Bridal suite to use however you wish
Ceremony / Reception
- Mill 1 banquet tables & chairs and cocktail tables set up and taken down before and after your event
- White garden chairs for your ceremony if you choose our Mill 4 ceremony space
- Gorgeous lobby with shiny hardwood floors and high ceilings for cocktail hour
- Various bar/liquor menus for you to choose from and the opportunity for custom drinks and cocktails
- Friendly bar staff
- Full kitchen for your Preferred Caterer of choice with their own entrance and restroom to stay “behind the scenes”
We only host one event per day. For weddings, the Mill 1 at Open Square event space is available for nine consecutive hours of use for a five-hour reception. This time period breaks down to three hours for setup, a five hour event and one hour for break down. Contiguous additional time for set-up or for your actual event is an additional cost. See below for rental rates. Rentals also incur a 7% state/local tax:
|Friday or Sunday (any event)||Up to nine hours||$2,700.00|
|Saturday during off-peak months (any event)||Up to nine hours||$2,950.00|
|Sept. or Oct. Saturday or any Holiday (any event)||Up to nine hours||$3,350.00|
|Monday-Thursday (Wedding)||Up to nine hours||$1,800.00|
|Monday-Thursday (Non-Wedding)||Up to six hours||$800.00|
|Bar Minimum Friday, Saturday & Holiday||Minimum||$1,000.00|
|Bar Minimum Monday-Thursday, Sunday||Minimum||$500.00|
|Ceremony in Mill 4, 4th floor Gallery **||Three hours||$850.00|
|Ceremony in Mill 1 **||One hour||$750.00|
|Memorial Gatherings||Up to five hours||$800.00|
|Extended event hours Friday-Sunday||Per hour||$250.00|
|Extended event hours Monday-Thursday||Per hour||$200.00|
|Additional hour for set-up or break-down||Per hour, one hour minimum||$100.00|
|Ladder Work||Per hour, one hour minimum||$100.00|
FOOD, LINENS, CHINA & FLATWARE
At Mill 1, you’ll choose among our approved caterers and work directly with them to pick the food, linens, water glasses & flatware you want. Your caterer will set and clear your tables. In our experience, full-service caterers cost between $40-100 per person.
Mill 1 has a gorgeous bar area and a full liquor license. We offer open bar, cash bar and open bar by consumption. See our ‘Beverage and Bar Options’ below for details.
FURNISHINGS & DECOR
Your rental includes our many sized banquet tables and black banquet chairs, set up however you wish in Mill 1, and white garden chairs in our Mill 4 ceremony space. If you would like a different style of chair or table, we will happily rent those for you, and will take care of coordinating delivery and set up. You can also choose to add any of our special decor items, which include string lights, paper lanterns, rustic mill accessories, and lounge furniture.
Maximum Seated in Main Space = 200 with dance floor, 250 seated without dance floor.
* Fees are subject to change
** Ceremonies in Mill 1 are ONLY available for events with 90 or fewer guests. The Mill 4 ceremony space is in a public area. Although most tenants vacate the building by 4:30pm on Saturday and 6:45 pm on Friday, there may be tenants passing by. The Mill 4 Ceremony space is not air conditioned. A maximum of 150 white folding chairs are included in a Mill 4 ceremony. White folding chairs are not available for use in a Mill ceremony.
Frequently Asked Questions
Absolutely! We have two ceremony spaces. The Mill 4 ceremony space includes white folding chairs for up to 150 guests and costs $850. Mill 4 is adjacent to Mill 1. The Mill 4 ceremony rental is for 3 hours. Having a ceremony within Mill 1’s event space is an option for events of 90 or less guests. A ceremony in Mill 1 is $750 and this rental adds one hour to time. We do not allow ceremonies in Mill 1 for more than 90 guests. The black chairs in Mill 1 are included in your Mill 1 rental. We can arrange for different chairs if you like.
Decor, Vendor & Mill 1 Staff
Prior to your event, Mill 1 Event Coordinators will work with you to create a detailed floor plan, seating plan, arrange for your beverage needs, ensure your vendors have directions and know where to park, etc. The day of your event, Mill 1 staff sets up table and chairs, welcomes your vendors, address any needs you have related to the space and coordinates the flow of the event. Event Coordinators do not decorate.
We used to be able to do that, but we’re too busy now! We have events booked sequential days and are not able to manage event material the day before or after. Your rental is for a particular length of time on a particular day. You may pay for access to the space for additional sequential hours on the day of your event for $100/hour.
Your caterer will put linens on the tables and set the tables. Your florist (if applicable) will place centerpieces and other floral details. Mill 1 staff will place tables/chairs/lights/furniture.
Additional consecutive hours to decorate are available for $100 per hour with a $100 minimum. You must ask for any additional time—beyond the contractual 3 hours—in writing 30 days or more before your event so Mill 1 has time to send an invoice and schedule staff.
Folks usually choose one of the following three options:
- Ask someone you know to place and remove special decor items within the 3 hour set-up time.
- Hire a planner to place and remove special decor the day of your event and/or supervise your event. Check our Preferred Vendor list for wonderful event planners.
- Negotiate with your florist or other vendor to place and remove special decor the day of your event.
We can special order any chairs you’d like, but the black chairs in Mill 1 are included in your Mill 1 rental and white folding chairs are included in a Mill 4 Ceremony space rental. Ask your Event Coordinator about renting special chairs if you’re interested.
We used to allow this but there was damage to our floors. We take our floors pretty seriously, so you’ll work with your Mill 1 Coordinator to choose special chairs if you would like different chairs than the black banquet chairs.
We think you’re better off hiring folks with expertise in that, so we don’t rent audio or visual equipment but have excellent preferred vendors who can help you.
This is another insurance issue, so we thank you for your compliance! You may have 3 candles per table and 1 candle per window sill. ALL candles must be in a container and the top of the flame must be 2 inches below the top of the container.
We’re happy to hang items for you but our insurance carrier requires that Mill 1 staff perform ALL work that requires a ladder. The fee for this work is $100/hour with a one-hour minimum. Mill 1 must approve any special decor, including hanging ones, that are attached to the building. You must ask for ladder time in writing 30 days or more before your event so Mill 1 has time to invoice you and schedule staff. You may NOT hang anything on painted walls.
Our insurance company requires that all vendors providing services for a fee must be fully insured including liability and workman’s comp insurance.
Yes, BUT they must have insurance if you are paying them. All vendors providing services for a fee must be fully insured including liability and workman’s comp insurance. Insurance designed for DJs and Musicians is very affordable. It covers their equipment and can be found with a simple on-line search.
Mill 1 Booking & Payment Schedule FAQs
For a conference with classroom style seating, 300. For a private event, 200 with a dance floor and 250 without a dance floor.
We host one event per day. Days are reserved on a first come, first served basis via a security deposit of $750.00 and $1,250 toward your venue rental ($2,000 total). Checks/Money Orders should be made out to ‘Open Square LLC’ and payment should be received upon contract signing date.
We do not hold dates. Dates are reserved or they are open.
Nine months before your event, you will pay your remaining room charge (including known décor additions and tax). Six months before your event, you’ll begin working with our Mill 1 Event Coordinator on your seating plan and bar choices. Thirty days before your event, you will pay your full bar bill (if applicable), and any un-billed room extras. That’s it!
You’ll choose among our list of Preferred Caterers who we know provide delicious food and excellent service. We’ve curated our preferred caterers’ list to reflect the widest variety of styles and budgets.
We provide the space (with tables and chairs) and bar staff/glasses. You get to choose from our list of caterers who will provide linens/china, flatware, water goblets and serve your food and clean up after your meal.
Due to liquor license regulations absolutely no outside beverages (alcoholic or non-alcoholic) may be brought into Mill 1. FYI: there is a $1,000 Friday, Saturday and Holiday event bar minimum and a $500 bar minimum all other days, even if you’re not serving alcohol at your event.
Bringing outside alcohol into our venue is a violation of our liquor license, so no.
Yes, but there is a fee for each bottle on a table. Speak to your Event Coordinator for details.
Open bar package confirmed guest counts include all adult guests with the exception of moms-to-be.
No. We do not offer corking fees and we do not purchase alcohol from sources other than our regular distributors. These are ABCC rules we’re following.
No. The ABCC does not categorize us as a restaurant, and as such, they do not allow us to provide sealable wine bags like those you find in restaurants.
Sure! If you purchase a full Open Bar, you may limit what’s offered to your guests in any way you like, but Open Bar prices per person remain the same.
If you purchase a Premium or Ultra Premium Open Bar package you may special order wine or beer. There is a per bottle charge in addition to the cost of the Open Bar package and there is a $250 minimum for special wine/beer orders.
We carry a seasonal rotating stock of two to three craft beers at all times.